Monday, August 8, 2011

Setting Myself Up for Success

It's been a rough week. But the last eighteen hours have made it seem like we're on an upswing. Hubby and I had a heart-to-heart talk yesterday morning in which I consoled him, cajoled him, and outright scolded him. As the day went on, he seemed to be in better spirits. Now, whether he's just a fine actor, I'm not sure. I don't think he's that good, so I'm hoping what I told him helped. I'm also hoping that today goes amazingly well so that he can feel more relief.

A week ago, I set some creative goals along with a becoming-very-dear-to-my-heart friend, Laura. Neither of us met every goal, but we set the bar high for ourselves and I think that we really rose to the challenge. Good for us!

This week is going to be a busy one for me. I'll be squeezing creativity in where I can, but I have tons of things to do that don't involve being creative (except for piecing together a new school wardrobe without breaking the bank). I'm keeping that in mind while I make my goals.

1. Continue to post a picture to Flickr every day. (I almost feel like I'm cheating with this one because I'm pretty sure I can do it. Maybe I should say "a quality image" instead?)

2. Figure out how to put together my next necklace, a ribbon and chain idea. I may need an extra set of arms for this one.

3. Make some decisions on my Pinterest-inspired project. I had decided what I wanted to do, but now I have other ideas, too. I know I should probably just sit down and go with my gut. I'll see if I can make the time to do that.

4. Look at my art journal and tell myself that I really must glue those pages together someday.

5. Start to prep a gothic romance inspired piece. I had a collection of gothic stories that I was going to give away to the local library's book sale. I flipped through it before boxing it and saw some wonderful illustrations. What are you doing? I mentally yelled at myself. You could make something out of that!! So I'm going to listen to that voice and try. Sorry, library.

6. Make another stock manipulation piece. An image flew into my head yesterday, and I had to get it out. It was so strong that I couldn't even see; my mind's eye took over. When it was finished, I felt so good. So I want to feel that way again! I'm hoping to be inspired enough to create another image this week!

"Decide"

So another week of creative spirits gets underway! For anyone reading this (taps on computer screen: "Anyone out there?"), set your own goals for creativity. It's easy to say that you're going to be creative, but it is sometimes darned hard to actually do it! Set a goal and set some time. It is soooo worth it!

Good luck, Laura! I look forward to seeing your goals and your creative endeavors!


2 comments:

  1. Nichole! I LOVE "Decide" so much. It's freakin' awesome! We both did so good last week and I'm happy to learn that things with hubby's work is on the upswing. Should make meeting your goals this week much more doable. I am really intrigued by the "gothic romance" piece. I love the sound of that! Okay...off to get busy,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Laura have been busy little bees. You are both pulling at my creative fairy to get busy. Keep up the great work. I really like your "Decide" piece.

    ReplyDelete