Sunday, January 23, 2011

Twilight for the Lamplighter


Not far from my house is a lamppost with a blue historic marker attached. At that site on July , 1875, Patrolman Benjamin Yost was shot and killed while trying to extinguish the light.

It was believed that he was killed by members of a group called the "Molly Maguires." Their fight for unionization for the jobs in the coal mines is a tragic story. It was chronicled in a movie staring Sean Connery.

I'd try to impart all of the details of this historic, local period, but I doubt I could do it justice because I just don't know the history well enough.

Still, it's enough to inspire a photo, and that's what I'm sharing today!

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome! I love the composition! I've never seen the movie but will now have to see it!

    ReplyDelete