Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today's Prompt


"Write about a shade tree"
A Writer's Book of Days, Judy Reeves

Several years ago, my husband and I traveled to Salem, Massachusetts. While on the trip, I insisted that we skip some of the touristy locales and visit places where history actually occurred. One of these place was the Nurse farm. Rebecca Nurse was one of the people accused of witchcraft during the 1692 Witch Trials that occurred in Salem.

On the site of the farm is a reconstruction of the original Salem Meetinghouse. The farmhouse is still standing. We saw someone in the backyard and were afraid that we were trespassing, so we didn't go too near. (Such chickens!)

As we were leaving, I saw this tree and snapped it's picture. I have an affinity for trees and liked the tableau set up by this shot.

I often look at this picture and wonder about the Nurse family. Did Rebecca ever sit under this tree, reading her Bible or relaxing after a long, summer day? Did her children play under the tree, having picnics and running around after each other?

How much history did this tree witness? Was it sad when Rebecca was arrested?

Was this tree even standing when the events of 1692 unfolded? Was it a sapling planted by the Nurses?

I wish it could have told me its story...

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Trees are so alive with personality and I've always felt that they are protectors and we owe them our respect.
    This tree is beautiful. Such an interesting story as my family played a role in the trials so I always find anything to do with Salem so fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete