Friday, January 6, 2012

The Awe-Manac: Six Things So Far

My friend and creative sister, Laura, gifted me the awesome book called The Awe-Manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder by Jill Badonsky. It's a wonderful book of daily inspiration and joy and thought and awe.

I've dedicated a couple of moments each morning to the book. Just quick jottings before I continue the rest of my daily routine. My hope is to devote more times on Saturdays and/or Sundays to actually working through more of the prompts and ideas for that day.

For now, thought, it has proven to be a good way to start the day. 

This morning's page included one of my favorite journal ideas so far: "Since it is January 6, give yourself credit for six small things you are already glad you have done this year."

1. I went to Piloxing! I signed up for the month and wen to the first class on Monday. It was tough but awesome! I missed Wednesday because of a sinus infection, but I'm getting up to go to tomorrow's 8:00 a.m. class. Must get in shape! And a shape other than pear, thank you very much!

2. I have written in my Awe-Manac journal six days in a row! Six! And I have a 5-year diary with daily questions that I write in each night. Six for six on that one, too! And in a couple of weeks, my creative writing class starts, so I'll get to write each day with them, too!

3. I posted some SOOC (straight out of the camera for non-photogs) pictures to Flickr. Most of my photography is graced by the beautiful textures that various artists (mainly Cheryl Turrant) create and share with the world. But I want to do more with my photography than just post it this year; I'd like to make some money from it! Sounds bad putting it in writing, but it's true. And I think that diversifying my portfolio is part of that process!

4. I made the little guy sit on the potty. It was a rough time, but each step in the process is a big one! 'Nuff said on that...

5. I read the zombie novel my brother got me for Christmas. The storyline was really good. The writing was, at times, mediocre (hence me not naming the book). One wouldn't think that reading a semi-mediocre book would excite anyone, but this one did. Reading it made me think that I could get published, too. There were times--without being egotistical because anyone who knows me well knows that's just not within me--anyway, there were times that I thought I could have written parts of the book better. That the book I've been working on is better. It was a good push to get me to continue writing.

6. I woke up every day. That is a blessing and gift. Now, however, I must wake up with a purpose, and more of a purpose than just to get through the day or follow my routine. I need a specific purpose for each day, even if it as simple as tackling a small task or smiling more than I frown.

Not bad for only the first six days of 2012!



1 comment:

  1. So awesome Nichole! So glad you love the book! Congrats on your six things! And, there is nothing wrong with wanting to make money from your art! It's a lovely benefit from creating and when it happens it's like a little miracle of the day,lol.
    And you CAN get your book published! You've already put it out into the universe (me too...I'm working on one now!) and you will be successful!:)

    ReplyDelete