Friday, December 3, 2010

Fathers and Sons


It must be difficult to be the only son of an only son.

So many expectations, hopes, and dreams ride on you. Will you follow in your father's footsteps? Will you follow the path that he always wanted but couldn't attain? Will you provide the heir to these family dreams?

It's a lot to live up to. My husband is the only son of an only son; so is my father.

So is my son.

It's likely that our son will remain an only child, and I wonder what sort of impact this role will have on his personality, his decisions, his life. I know my husband strives to please his father, even now. And I know there's no one like his father who can make my husband feel like he's a seven-year-old...in all the best and worst ways.

I think it's probably like that for all fathers and sons. Caught between the roles of father and friend. Trying to teach while still learning.

And still, in those fleeting moments of grace, you see the relationship at its best. When they forget about their respective roles and just get lost in the moment...


No comments:

Post a Comment