Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Missing: Comfort and Joy

I have a pair of socks. They're not just any pair of socks. They are sweaters for my feet. Knit stripes of orange, pink, and brown. Pom-poms dangling jauntily from the ankles. Two layers of toasty, cuddly warmth. Little nubbins on the bottom so I don't slip. Pure, unadulterated comfort.

They are like a dear friend, these socks. True, they haven't been through as much with me as, say, my fluffy purple sweatshirt. But these socks have potential to prove themselves just as loyal.

That is, they had that potential until they disappeared.

I haven't seen them in days.

My feet have launched an all-out hunt for them. Working together, they have searched even the most unlikely of places for my socks. The basement. The toy box.

Even under the couch where there's room only for crumbs and the smallest of dust bunnies...


I think they've run away, these socks. I can't help but feel that I did something that prompted them to leave. Left them on the cold floor. Pulled them on after a long day of work in dress shoes. Didn't paint my toenails or trim them to a pleasant length.

My feet have watched for their return, but in vain.


My feet are in mourning tonight. Saddened by the loss of dear friends. Missing the comfort of their presence on cold, rainy, and windy nights. Like tonight.


Dear socks, why have you forsaken us?

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I hope you find your beloved socks! I feel bad for your toesies but I hope they don't mind that I got a chuckle from their plight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I know they have to be around here somewhere...I hope. And chuckle away. My feet have thick skin (mainly from walking around without the comfy socks...)!

    ReplyDelete