Sunday, October 30, 2011

iPhoneography Mission #9: My Favorite Butterfly

This week's iPhoneography mission was our ninth one, and it was a lovely one:

Admire the color palette of butterfly wings.

While I find so much beauty in all butterflies, the monarch holds a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, they seem in short supply around here, especially as we near the middle of autumn. I did have the exquisite pleasure of seeing one soar overhead a couple of weeks ago. Those brilliant wings against a perfectly blue autumn sky...

That moment served as my inspiration for this week's mission. I decided to focus on the palette provided by the lovely monarch.

My initial shots come from a book sent to me by a Flickr friend (thank you, Pam!). It's called simply Monarch Butterfly and is by Gail Gibbons. It is a lovely little book that details the growth cycle of monarchs and how to raise and release your own. (Aside: I cannot wait until spring!!)

Monarch

Stained Glass

An Abstraction of Wings

Once I had exhausted myself on pictures of the monarch from the book, I looked for a similar palette of colors around me...

Edges
(from a picture of clown fish...Nemo!)

Woolly Bear
(from my comfy socks)

Autumn's Ode to the Monarch

On a Clear Autumn Day


Respite for a Monarch

(All shots were done with various lenses and films in Hipstamatic. I should keep better track, but I have a habit of...well, being too lazy!)

In all, it was a lovely little mission. It was fun seeking out that beautiful orange color...and especially trying to find it in a non-Halloween way. I hope I did my favorite butterfly justice!!

Now, on to the next mission: Mission #10: Make a cup of tea and follow the color saturation of the water.

Oy. This will be right up Laura's alley! As for me? I don't even know if I have tea in the house! Unless it's iced and from Guer's Dairy, I'm not really a fan...

But I do love a challenge!!!!




2 comments:

  1. I love your take on this challenge! Well done! I especially love the leave. So pretty! And, you need to come have tea with me, in London, at High Tea...you'll be a fan after that! My tea is always iced too but flavors like organic rose petals and lavender! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops...that is supposed to say I love the leaf! haha!

    ReplyDelete